TAMPA, Fla. — Heavy storms rolling through Tampa Bay are likely to blame for a house fire in Hyde Park on Monday night.
Tampa Fire Rescue responded to the home on the 2000 block of Watrous Avenue just before 8:30 p.m. The homeowner said her husband and children, ages two and four years old, were inside.
The shift commander said the lightning hit the chimney area of the home and then ignited a gas line in the fireplace. Responding firefighters were able to keep the blaze contained within the walls of the fireplace and keep it from spreading.
Shift commander Greg Reed said the family is fortunate.
“It didn’t happen in the middle of the night when everyone was asleep, and the family was home,” Reed said.
Everyone got out safely.