Family forced from home after electrical fire in home that lost electricity

Posted at 12:16 AM, Sep 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-17 00:23:17-04

A family has been forced out of their Davis Islands home after the wiring inside burned. This electrical fire happened days after power was restored from Hurricane Irma.

The homeowner, Sharon Ross, said there were two electrical fires Friday. She said the first was in the hot water heater. Ross said she called the fire department around 2 pm Friday and they put out that fire. A short time later, she said she smelled smoke again. Firefighters returned to put out an electrical fire in the wires throughout the house.

"The house was built the house was filled with smoke in it and it had a terrible odor and my daughters were in the house and my dog so I got them out," Ross said.

Ross said Thursday night, two days after TECO restored power, she saw what looked like fireworks on the electrical lines outside her house. She said neighbors saw the display as well. Ross said TECO was at her house investigating Friday.

TECO said they did send folks out to investigate. Right now they said they are not finding anything to suggest Tampa Electric equipment was involved in the cause of the fire.