The city of St. Petersburg is offering free swim classes to any non-swimmers who live in the city limits.
There are still about 1,400 spots open. The lessons run two weeks, the first session starts Tuesday, May 30. There are five sessions throughout the summer.
Kids must be age 4 to 17. They can sign up for as many sessions as they like until scholarship money runs out.
"When they said she was available for a free swim scholarship it kind of took me back a little bit, because it's so important because I think everybody needs to learn how to swim, even if they can't afford it,” Laura Daughtry said.
The scholarship money was donated by the Tampa Bay Rays and St. Petersburg Pediatrics.
To sign up, visit: stpeteparksrec.org/swim-lessons
- Tuesday, May 30 - Thursday, June 8
- (no classes May 29)
- Monday, June 12 - Thursday, June 22
- Monday, June 26 - Thursday, July 6
- (no classes on July 4)
- Monday, July 10 - Thursday, July 20
- Monday, July 24 - Thursday, August 3
Free ADVANTAGE membership is required.
Lessons are offered morning and evening, Monday - Thursday for 2 weeks (except holiday weeks).
Cost for the 2-week session is $39, regular price.
Fee assistance and scholarships are available for qualifying families that receive Medicaid /Food stamps.
Childs Park Pool
- 1227 43rd St. S. 893-7730
E. H. McLin Pool
- 602 14th St. S. 893-7635
Fossil Park Pool
- 6739 Dr. M.L.K Jr. St. N. 893-7440
Jennie Hall Pool
- 1025 26th St. S. 893-7725
Lake Vista Pool
- 1450 60th Ave. S. 893-7745
North Shore Aquatic Complex
- 901 North Shore Dr. NE. 893-7727
- 2331 60th St. N. 893-7723
Shore Acres Pool
- 4142 Shore Acres Blvd., NE. 893-7752
Walter Fuller Pool
- 7883 26th Ave. N. 893-7636