NewsSarasota, Manatee County

Actions

Man airlifted to hospital as trauma alert after vaping device explodes in his pocket, police say

Posted: 7:49 PM, Nov 21, 2018
Updated: 2018-11-21 19:51:56-05
Man airlifted to hospital as trauma alert after vaping device explodes in his pocket, police say

NORTH PORT, Fla. — A 43-year-old man had to be airlifted to the hospital after a vaping device exploded in his pocket, police say.

According to North Port Police, the vaping device was in his back pocket and exploded when he was sitting down in a chair at work.

Suggested:  Medical Examiner: Exploding vape pen killed St. Petersburg man

Medical personnel responded to his place of work around 10:15 a.m. Wednesday. He was flown as a trauma alert by BayFlight to Blake Medical Center with non-life threatening burns.

No additional information has been released at this time.

The Florida State Fire Marshall's Office is investigating the incident.