The president and CEO of Sarasota's Planned Parenthood is calling the hazmat evacuation of its building a janitorial mistake.
"There were cleaning materials on top of a water heater. So, when we came in this morning and turned on the air conditioning system, those fumes got into the duct," Barbara Zdravecky said.
Sarasota County Fire and Rescue responded to what it considered a hazmat situation Monday at the Planned Parenthood.
An unknown substance on the second floor of the building located at 736 Central Ave. made several people sick about 10:30 a.m.
"We had reports of up to eight patients that were having respiratory issues. We called our hazmat teams in. We called additional resources to the scene," said Assistant Chief Bill Hogue of Sarasota Fire Department.
Crews discovered uncapped cleaning chemicals during their sweep.
Seven people were transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital and one person declined medical assistance.
During the sweep, crews also discovered powdered baby formula in a stairwell. Investigators believe it may have spilled while people were leaving the building.
Thirty-eight people were inside when the evacuation was ordered.