News

Actions

Mandatory evacuations orders issued for some Pasco County communities

Posted at 4:17 PM, Sep 03, 2016

Pasco County has issued mandatory evacuation orders for some communities in the area.  The areas under mandatory evacuation are:

-Worthington Court Apartment complex; Rowan Road and State Road 54 in New Port Richey

-Blue Heron Mobile Home Park, 6615 Massachusetts Ave., New Port Richey

- Elfers Parkway Area along the Anclote River-east of Moog Rd; west of Seven Springs Blvd; south of SR 54; north of Old Oak Street

 

A recommended self-evacuation is in effect for residents in the following areas:

 -Bass Lake Area, New Port Richey

 -Lake Worrell, New Port Richey

 -Magnolia Valley Area, New Port Richey

 -Suncoast Gateway Mobile Home Park, 6010 Ridge Road, Port Richey

 

Evacuees are encouraged to stay with family/friends; however, if that is not possible, you will be bussed to the Mike Fasano Regional Hurricane Shelter in Hudson. If you evacuate, make sure you bring your ID, money, any medicines, and pets.

If you live in ANY flooded area and feel your safety is at risk, call Pasco County Customer Service at 727.847.2411 and rescue crews will come get you. If it's an emergency, please call 911.

The good news is, as of Saturday night, water levels continue to go down.  The bad news is that the fear of more rain and a rising Anclote River are pushing many families to get out.

Tracy Foster watched nervously as her daughter and two month old grandson were pulled out of deep flood waters at the Blue Heron Pointe Mobile Home Park.

 

"No one came to see us until these people came and said we were having an evacuation and told us we had to leave," said Foster.

 

Friends and neighbors started piling onto air matresses and paddling their way to safety.  But by then, the flooding had already taken a hefy toll.

 

"It's raining in my ceiling right now.  My ceiling inside my house--the drywall has ruptured," said Amanda Mongelli.

 

Even still, Amanda knows she's lucky.  She and her kids and dogs got out safely.

 

"Some people here have lost everything that they have.  They're up to almost knee high water inside their house.  So we've been trying to help everybody as much as we can," said Mongelli.

 

People in two other neighborhoods are heading for higher ground, too.  And they're thankful that because the county shut off utilities, they had a chance to evacuate before the Anclote River hits major flood stage Sunday.

 

"Last year, we got woken up in the middle of the night, so it was grab what you can and get out.  But this time, I was able to go back and grab stuff.  So I have a couple days worth of things if I need them.  I'll be okay," said Leana Wilkerson.

 

Even with repeated warnings and mandatory evacuation orders in place, a few people are choosing to stay put in their homes, just hoping the worst is over.