Fire destroys newlyweds' house hours after wedding

Dogs were saved from home
Posted at 6:01 PM, Nov 16, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-16 18:01:42-05

Newlyweds excited to embark on a new chapter face a challenge they never expected. Less than 24 hours after they got married a fire completely destroyed their home. But, it is what was spared that has them so grateful.

Kameron and Kendra Edwards embarked on their new chapter as a married couple this past Saturday.

"When you say your vows you say better or worse sicker or poor," said 28- year-old Kameron.

But just 18 hours after they said there I do's they went home to a fire at their home in Port Richey.

"Smoke is just piling out of our house, " said Kendra.

Just half an hour before they pulled in Kameron's father dropped off presents. He said leaving them on the stove.

"Somehow the stove top either turned on or malfunctioned and everything that was on the stove caught fire," said Kameron.

But the couple wasn't thinking of the house.

"I just went in to save the dogs. I walked in the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere and I couldn't see," said Kameron.

"It was just devastating the fact they were in the house and we didn't know where they were," said Kendra.

Firefighters rushed in and pulled out a 2-year-old German Shepard named Kona and found their 4-year-old Golden Retriever Cody hiding in the bathtub.

"I can't thank them enough for putting their lives on the line for people they don't even know," said Kameron.

To see them alive that's just the most important thing I think of when walking through this house," said Kendra.

The house is a complete loss but help is pouring in after friends started a GofundMe account.

Now strangers are rallying behind his couple.

"I didn't even expect that to be started! Thank you to everyone from the bottom of our hearts," said Kendra.

The couple hopes they got the worse behind them and they can focus on the better. Although it will be a good four months until they can move in.