NewsPasco County

Actions

Coast Guard suspends search for diver missing off Anclote Key since Saturday

WFTS-Web-Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 5:14 PM, Sep 12, 2020
and last updated 2020-09-15 07:28:24-04

PASCO COUNTY, Fla. — The Coast Guard said it has suspended the search for a diver missing off Anclote Key.

Prior to Monday night's announcement, crews had been searching for the diver, later identified as 42-year-old Eddie Brunt III, seven miles offshore since Saturday.

Crews searched approximately 43 hours covering 1,685 square miles, according to the Coast Guard.

"One of the toughest parts of the job is suspending search and rescue efforts, and we do not make this decision lightly," said Capt. Matt Thompson, commanding officer of Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg, in a press release. "It is only after the Coast Guard, FWC, and local partner agencies saturated every possible area that we must make this call. Our thoughts are with Mr. Brunt's family and friends at this difficult time."

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Coast Guard on marine radio Ch. 16 or at (727) 824-7534.