NewsHillsborough County

Actions

Tampa residents, pet sugar glider OK after house fire caused by hoverboard, firefighters say

Posted: 9:42 PM, Apr 19, 2019
Updated: 2019-04-20 03:16:57Z
hover-board-fire-video-courtesy-Linsay-Anderson.PNG

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Fire responded to a house fire believed to be caused by a hoverboard that was charging in one of the rooms Friday night.

Crews responded to a call of a structure fire at a home in the 18200 block of Cozumel Isle Drive around 7:30 p.m. Upon arrival, crews were able to immediately take down the fire.

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY NEWS | The latest headlines from Hillsborough County

The homeowner told Tampa Fire the incident was caused by the hoverboard's battery bursting into flames and igniting some of the nearby items.

The residents were able to safely leave the house but told crews on scene that their pet sugar glider was in an upstairs bedroom in its cage. Crews were able to rescue the sugar glider from the smoke-filled home.

No one was hurt from the fire, according to Tampa fire.

Story developing, refresh for updates. Stay with ABC Action News for the latest.