NewsHillsborough County


2 people hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Tampa apartment complex

Tampa Fire Rescues found 2 generators running
Posted at 4:05 PM, Mar 18, 2022
and last updated 2022-03-18 23:12:38-04

TAMPA, Fla. — Tampa Fire Rescue transported two people to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning on Friday.

First responders located one of the patients inside his second floor apartment.

Just before 11 a.m., Tampa Fire Rescue responded to the Oaks at Riverview, located in Seminole Heights, after they received a call about a man in his 50s being found unconscious and unresponsive.

"I just pray he’s alright. I pray he’s alright. He’s a nice man, he’s very nice," said Johnnie Barlow, a neighbor.

Tampa Fire Rescue said a small fire occurred the day before in a kitchen and it set the sprinklers off. Firefighters discovered two generators.

"The sprinklers had extinguished the fire prior to our arrival so a contract company was hired to perform almost like a renovation or restoration of that apartment unit so they had the generator on the balcony of the third floor and the first floor," said Captain Henry Williams with Tampa Fire Rescue.

Tampa Fire Rescue believes the generator on the first floor caused the problem.

"We believe it had a carbon monoxide leak and it was located on the first floor of the building inside a retail space," said Capt. Williams.

He said symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, headaches. According to the Mayo Clinic, Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel.

A total of 12 apartment units were impacted by the carbon monoxide leak. After evacuations, crews ventilated the apartment building until there were no carbon monoxide readings.

According to Tampa Fire Rescue, two people were transported to a local hospital. One person is in "critical condition" and the other in "stable condition." They said three other people were evaluated for carbon monoxide symptoms but refused medical treatment.

At this time, it is unknown if the contractor will face any charges. The fire marshal's office is investigating.