Incredible dash camera video from Georgia shows a Dunwoody Police Office dangling from the window of a vehicle, before he's thrown from it into traffic on a busy interstate.
The vehicle, driven by 35-year-old Derric Alexander Simpson, was stopped for violating the state's hands-free law.
During the traffic stop, Simpson put the vehicle in gear and Officer Nathan Daley reached in, trying to stop him from running, the police department says.
With Daley hanging out of the window, Simpson accelerates toward I-285. Officer Daley told Simpson to stop several times, the department says.
Once on the interstate, Simpson can be seen making a sharp swerve, hitting a white van and knocking Officer Daley to the ground.
Simpson then swerves in-between vehicles and continues driving quickly down the interstate before pulling off to the shoulder. He then jumps a barricade and runs.
He was captured and arrested moments later, according to the department.
Officer Daley was treated at a local hospital and released. He is now recovering at home.
Simpson is charged with:
- Aggravated Assault on a Police Officer
- Aggravated Battery
- Fleeing or Attempting to Elude a Police Officer
- Trafficking in Ecstasy
- Possession of Marijuana with the Intent to Distribute
- Hit and Run
- Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
- Interference with Government Property
- Violation of the Georgia Hands-Free Law
- Possession of a Controlled Substance with the Intent to Distribute