Netflix and Media Rights Captial announced Tuesday that they are suspending the final season of "House of Cards" until further notice.
"MRC and Netflix have decided to suspend production on House of Cards season six, until further notice, to give us time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of our cast and crew," the companies said in a statement Tuesday according to multiple reports.
The announcement comes days after actor Anthony Rapp told BuzzFeed that House of Cards star Kevin Spacey made a sexual advance toward him during a party in 1986 when the two were both working as actors on Broadway. Rapp was 14 at the time, Spacey was 26.
Spacey released a statement early Monday morning, saying he does not remember the incident but apologized for "deeply drunken behavior." He also used the opportunity to publicly come out as gay, which has garnered further scrutiny from many in the entertainment industry.
Hours after Rapp's allegation, Netflix and MRC announced that season six would be the final season of the critically acclaimed show.
"Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night's revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time," Netflix said in a statement to ABC News.
"House of Cards" — the first original show Netflix produced and released — has been available to stream on Netflix since February 2013. Since then, it has been nominated for dozens of Primetime Emmys, included best drama series.
Variety reports that filming for "House of Cards'" sixth season began earlier this month. Netflix has not set a release date for the new season.
Alex Hider is a writer for the E.W. Scripps National Desk. Follow him on Twitter @alexhider.