Memorials paying tribute to those we lost 15 years ago are sprinkled across the Tampa Bay area today.
From Citrus County south to Sarasota County and the Pinellas Gulf Coast to the bedroom community of Winter Haven in Polk County, people are honoring and remembering the 9/11 fallen and those who sacrificed their lives to protect American freedom and values in the years since then.
Here is a list of some of the Bay area 9/11 memorials, salutes and ceremonies being held today.
- 8:30 a.m. - Annual 9/11 Ceremony hosted by the North Port Police Department and North Port Fire Rescue at City Center Boulevard in North Port.
- 9:50 a.m. and 9:59 a.m. - 9/11 Remembrance hosted by Clearwater Fire and Rescue Department. Best visuals and most personnel likely to be at the Clearwater Fire Rescue headquarters at 1140 Court St.
- 10 a.m. - 9/11 Memorial Service will be held at Curlew Hills Memory Gardens, 1750 Curlew Road in Palm Harbor.
- 2 p.m. - Honoring Our Heroes - Remembering the Day event at Central Park in downtown Winter Haven.
- 4:30 p.m. - 9/11 Remembrance Event at Sims Park hosted by the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. Music begins at 4:30 p.m.; the ceremony is set for 5 p.m.
- 6 p.m. - 9/11 Memorial Interfaith Community Gathering hosted by the Unitarian Universalist Church of Tarpon Springs. The event will be held at Church on the Bayou, 409 Whitcomb Blvd. in Tarpon Springs.