As many as 15 million Americans have food allergies.
The side effects range from mild rashes to more serious complications like trouble swallowing and in extreme cases death.
The CDC issues guidelines for managing food allergies in schools, and parents are on the front line in the battle against allergies.
Bev DeSantis with BJ's Wholesale Club is working on some easy to make allergy-friendly snacks.
She spoke to ABC Action News Weekend Edition anchor Lindsay Logue about easy to make allergy free snacks.
Here are some of DeSantis' recipes for allergy-friendly snacks:
Cinnamon Toast Chicks
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and dried completely
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup Wellsley Farms Organic cane sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the dried chickpeas with oil and salt. Pour onto a large rimmed
- nonstick baking sheet. Reserve the bowl.
- Roast the chickpeas on the middle oven rack for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix cinnamon and sugar together; blend well and set aside.
- After 15 minutes, carefully remove baking sheet. Return chickpeas to large mixing bowl. Add sugar mixture and toss until the chickpeas are well coated. Pour back onto baking sheet, return to oven and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes until they are a deep golden color, being careful not to burn them.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + one pinch (divided)
- 3 ripe avocados
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- Juice of two limes (about ¼ cup)
- Fill the bottom of a stockpot with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, cover and steam for 7-8 minutes until tender. Remove from heat. Drain, return to pot and mash with a potato masher to desired consistency. Set aside to cool to room temperature, or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, halve, seed and scoop flesh from avocado into a large mixing bowl. Add cilantro, red onion, pepper, tomato and a pinch of salt to taste. Mash with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency.
- Stir in cauliflower and lime juice. Mix well and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with corn tortilla chips.