Firefighters rescued five dogs from a burning duplex on DeLeon Way in Lakeland on Thursday night, authorities said.
Shortly after 8 p.m. firefighters with the Lakeland Fire Department responded to a house fire at 1226 Deleon Way, a Lakeland Fire Department news release states. When they arrived, firefighters spotted a fully involved kitchen fire in the duplex.
They quickly doused the fire and during a search of the property, firefighters found two adult Chihuahuas and three puppies in their pet crates in the duplex. A teenager boy and his younger sibling had safely gotten out of the house before firefighters arrived.
The dogs were taken out of the house safely by firefighters. They all are expected to survive.
The cause of the fire appears to have been accidental due to unattended cooking items on a stove top, the news release states.
No injuries were reported.