TAMPA, Fla. -- Hillsborough County’s oldest home is getting a new place to live.
The structure was built in 1842 and was originally located on Jackson St. In 1914 the residence was deconstructed and moved to Ybor City.
And now crews are putting it all back together for a third time on a historically protected site, to ensure it will not be demolished. All this made possible by Tampa Bay area company EquiAlt.
The move is being conducted in three parts. It will be transported to the corner of Westland Ave. in Hyde Park. The home will even have some of its original wallpaper, coverings that survived a Category 4 Hurricane in 1848.
“They don’t build them like this anymore,” explained Scott Carpenter of EquiAlt. “The house is in very good shape. . . very good shape, enough to be split and moved five miles. This is the farthest a house has been moved in Hillsborough County.”
Once the move is complete, the company plans to restore the residence to its ‘period correct,’ look and feel. It will then be turned into office space according to Carpenter.