SARASOTA, Fla. — New traffic patterns are expected to begin in Sarasota as officials work on Phase 2 of the U.S. 41-Fruitville Road roundabout project.
This phase will close Westbound Fruitville Road from Cocoanut Avenue to U.S. 41.
The City of Sarasota said the following new traffic patterns will go in effect during Phase 2:
- Traffic will be shifted to the west on U.S. 41 on the newly constructed traffic diversion roadway so that crews can begin construction of the roundabout on the east side of U.S. 41.
- Two lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on U.S. 41 during this phase of construction with this realignment.
- Westbound Fruitville Road will be closed to all traffic from Cocoanut Avenue to U.S. 41.
- The left turn movement from northbound U.S. 41 to westbound Boulevard of the Arts will be reinstated.
- The traffic signal at the U.S. 41-Fruitville Road intersection will be switched to flashing yellow lights until the traffic switch is complete. As part of Phase 2, this signal will be removed in the coming weeks.
- Eastbound traffic on Fruitville Road from U.S. 41 to Cocoanut Avenue will remain open.
- The third left-turn lane from Gulfstream Avenue onto NB U.S. 41 will be reinstated.
- There will be no access from U.S. 41 to 4th Street or the alleys located between 1st Street to 5th Street during Phase 2 construction.
How To Get Around Construction
To bypass traffic on U.S. 41 within and around the project limits, the primary route to travel is Lemon Avenue, whether your destination is north of downtown Sarasota or on Longboat Key. Local businesses in the project limits are accessible and you’re encouraged to support them.
You can find more information on the project by clicking here.