TAMPA - Ahoy mateys! It's that time of year for pirates, parades, boats, beer, and you can't forget—beads.
This Saturday, Jan. 26, the Pirate Fest will kick off at 10:00 a.m., then the much awaited "Invasion" of the Jose Gasparilla pirate ship will enter the south end of Hillsborough Bay at 11:30 a.m.
Last year, hundreds of thousands flooded Bayshore Boulevard for Gasparilla 2012, and 2013 is expected to be no different.
Whether it's your first time or you're a vet to the parade, here are some useful tips and reminders about one of Tampa's biggest traditions.
Gasparilla is free, but you will want to bring plenty of cash for parking, food and others vendors – all of which only accept cash. There are ATMs available, but be mindful of additional fees Tickets for reserved seats, brunches and additional offshoot events can range anywhere from $35 to $102.
2. You don't want your good fun to be ruined because you broke any rules, so don't bring any of the following prohibited items:
- No styrofoam cups or containers
- Advertising of an any product or service
- Glass containers of any sort (City Ordinance)
- Coolers – Note: Small soft-sided cooler and lunch bags are permitted for childcare needs and medical needs only.
- Contests or lotteries of any kind
- Tents of any sort
- Fence, stakes or rope (used by spectators to reserve space for parade viewing)
- Sampling or give-away of any product or service
- Selling any product or service
- Solicitation or database development of any kind