TAMPA, Fla. — 4,000 people gathered in Channelside to race for a good cause on Thanksgiving morning.
The 4th annual Goody Goody Turkey Gobble benefited LIVESTRONG — a YMCA program for cancer survivor's and their families.
100 percent of the proceeds from the Goody Goody Turkey Gobble will help fund the free 12-week program for cancer survivors and their families, which encourages them to participate in both physical and social activities.
Runners, both as individuals and as teams, started their 8k, 5k or one-mile Turkey Trot races between 7 and 7:15 a.m. at Amalie Arena, went across the Platt Street Bridge, along Bayshore Boulevard, and ended back at Amalie.
Minutes away from 4,000 people running the annual Goody Goody Turkey Gobble! These are our 5k and 8k participants. If I could run, I’d be a Turkey trotter 😊😊😊 pic.twitter.com/AykB58pS9U
— Jasmine Styles (@JasmineStylesTV) November 22, 2018
— Griffin Frank (@GriffinFrank) November 22, 2018
Race routes caused several road closures. Drivers were asked to please allow extra travel time, travel through the areas with caution and be mindful of pedestrians and cyclists.
- 5:00 am – 9:30 am
- Channelside Drive – Ashley Drive to Nebraska Avenue
- 5:30 am – 9:30 am
- Platt Street - Parker Street to Ashley Drive / Platt Street Bridge
- Bayshore Boulevard – Bay to Bay Boulevard to Brorein Street
Here is the race day timeline:
- 5:30 a.m. Plaza at Amalie Arena opens — To ensure a mandatory on-time race start, race day registration & bib pick up will NOT be available.
- 6:30 a.m. 5K & 8k Corral Staging — Participants with baby joggers/strollers or pets will line up in designated corrals
- 7:00 a.m. 5k & 8K Races Begin — staggered start times for runners & walkers will be announced!
- 7:15 a.m. 1 Mile Walk Begins
- 8:00 a.m. Announcements & Awards
All participants received a post-race Goody Goody breakfast. Each participant who finished their race received a medal.
For more information on the race, click here.