UPDATE: Man shot, killed by police inside Bay Pines VA Medical Center identified

FBI: Man killed was a veteran


Friends of Vincent Young are speaking out tonight regarding the veteran's mood in the hours before he showed up at Bay Pines Veteran Affairs Medical Center Friday.

Young, 68, was shot and killed after claiming he had a bomb and then lunging at an officer with a knife.

George Kenny lived next door to Young for the past six years.  The two were close friends.  Both are veterans.

"Vince, I am under the impression had cancer," said Kenny.  "He may be in stage V.  This may be a way of him going out."

Kenny saw Young just hours before he showed up at the medical center.  Kenny said Young appeared calm and was no agitated.

Young, according to Kenny, was a bit of hermit and kept to himself.  He is also described as smart.

Kenny told ABC Action News Young would construct model airplanes in his home and then fly them in the street.

Now, Young's home is surrounded by crime scene tape and has been searched multiple times by FBI agents.

Neighbors said a family member is coming to take care of Young's affairs.  They hope they will be able to help with funeral arrangements.



"They told us to evacuate and that's what I did," Dave Smith, an employee at Bay Pines Veteran Affairs Medical Center, said Friday.

At around 5 p.m., while Smith was working in the primary care area of the hospital, officials say Vincent L. Young, 68, of St. Petersburg, started making threats in the emergency department.

"He actually walked into the lobby and made a statement that he had a bomb," FBI spokesman Dave Couvertier said.

Armed with that information, staff called the VA police, an internal police service at the hospital. When police confronted the man, who was determined to be a veteran, things escalated. According to the FBI, the man lunged at officers with a knife, which led to shots being fired by police.

The veteran was treated at the hospital, but died shortly after as a result of his injuries.

Authorities say he was carrying a backpack when he entered the hospital.

Inside, they found what appeared to be a plastic PVC pipe bomb. But it was later determined by bomb techs to be a hoax.

"In the abundance of caution and safety for our patients and staff, the first floor of the medical center was evacuated," said Jason Dangel, public affairs officer for Bay Pines VA Healthcare System.

Bomb sniffing dogs, PCSO deputies, the FBI, and ATF all responded to the scene. No bombs or other threats were found. No one else was injured.

The shooting remains under investigation.

Print this article Back to Top