TIMELINE: The search for Joshua and Sharyn Hakken and their kidnapped children

Early 2012 – Louisana police were called to a hotel room regarding a disturbance. Josh Hakken was arrested for drug possession in the presence of children after attending an "anti-government" rally. Chase and Cole are placed in a temporary foster home. Lousiana detectives say the couple told officers they were trying to beat "Armageddon" and "complete their ultimate journey."

Early 2012 – Josh Hakken arrives at the foster home Chase and Cole Hakken were staying at and, according to law enforcement officials, banged on the door and waved a gun around before leaving.

Mid 2012 – Grandmother Patricia Hauser is awarded temporary custody of Chase and Cole.

April 2, 2013 – Grandmother Patricia Hauser awarded full custody of Chase and Cole.

April 3, 6:30 a.m. – Police report Joshua Hakken, 35, tied up his mother-in-law Patricia Hauser and kidnapped his sons Cole, 4, and Chase, 2 from a Lake Magdalene home.

April 3, 1:15 a.m. – Police issue Amber Alert. "We do feel they are in danger due to the nature of the means in which they were taken," said Hillsborough County Sheriff's Corporal Kevin Bodie.

April 3 – Warrants issued for Joshua Hakken's on the following charges:  Kidnapping, Interference in Child Custody, Child Neglect, False Imprisonment, Burglary with Battery and Grand Theft Auto.

April 3, 8 p.m. – Police say the Joshua and his wife, Sharyn, could be driving a Black GMC Sierra Pick-Up.

April 4 – Tennessee Bureau of Investigation issues Amber Alert for Cole and Chase, after someone thought they spotted the Black GMC in Etowah.

April 4 –  Police release a portion of Patricia Hauser's call to 911 for help. ( http://wfts.tv/10zPqyb)

April 4 – Police find the Black GMC Sierra Pick-Up abandoned at the John's Pass Parking Garage

April 5 – Police release information that Joshua Hakken had recently purchased a 1972 Morgan 25M (25 foot) sailboat.  It's described as a boat with a blue bimini top, and a white mainsail.  The boat has the word "Salty" and a paw print in white displayed on both sides.

April 5 – Coast Guard joins FWC and HCSO in search for Hakken family.

April 5 – Video of surveillance cameras capturing the Hakkens on the "Salty" leaving John's Pass is released. Law enforcement believe they boarded the boat hours after the children were taken from their Grandmother's house. (Video in Player)

April 6 and 7 – Search continues by boat and in the air.

April 8 – Amber Alert lifted in Georgia and Tennessee.

April 8 – Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office received information that the Hakken family was in Cuba.

April 9 – State Department confirms it is aware of the Hakken situation and working to resolve the case.

April 9 – CNN Reporter Patrick Oppman spotted the "Salty" in a Havana Marina.  Oppman talked to Joshua, who confirmed his identity.  Sharyn told Oppman that the family is "ok." (Video in Player)

April 9 – Cuba agrees to turn over the Hakkens to US officials.

April 9 – The Hakkens are flown back to Florida.  Joshua and Sharyn are walked and booked into Orient Road Jail. (Video in Player)

April 10 – An early morning news conference is held to update the investigation.  During that time, the children's grandfather, Bob Hauser, thanked everyone for his grandchildren's safe return. (Video in Player)

April 10 – Sharyn Hakken charged with kidnapping, Interference in Child Custody, Child Neglect, False Imprisonment, Burglary with Battery.

April 10 – Amber Alert canceled.

April 10 – FBI drops federal charges to clear the way for local and state prosecution.

April 11 – Joshua and Sharyn Hakken made first appearance and were denied bond.

April 12 – Grandparents, Bob and Patricia Hauser, address the media and introduce Chase and Cole. (Video in Player)

Print this article Back to Top