Southern Roots, locally refined! That's the slogan of the new South Tampa eatery, The Local. Located at 3701 Henderson in Tampa. Just about 1 mile south of Kennedy.
Indoor and outdoor seating.. open for lunch and dinner!
Sunday - Wednesday: 11 a.m - 10 p.m.
Thursday - Saturday: 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.
"Skillet Cornbread Pot Pie"
makes 4 individual pot pies
Cornbread mix 32oz (v)
Chicken breast 1lb 1"dice
Chicken thigh 1lb 1"dice
Celery 8oz (v) 1/2" dice
Onion 8oz(v) 1/2" dice
Garlic 2oz (v) minced
Chicken stock 2qts
White wine 4oz (v)
FRESH Thyme, Rosemary, and Sage, 2 each stems
Roux 1 cup( more or less depending on how thick you'd like it
Salt and black/white pepper to taste
Start with your favorite brand of cornbread mix, but make sure it contains self rising cornmeal. In greased skillets, put 8oz of batter in each, and bake.
1. In a large sauce pot, start with butter, garlic and fresh herbs on medium-high heat.
2. Once you smell the aromatics from the herbs and garlic, add the chicken.
3. When the chicken is half cooked, go ahead and add your celery, carrots and onions. save peas for the end.
4. Saute the items in the pot, once the veggies soften up a bit, deglaze with white wine, then add the stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to do so for 15 min.
5. Now we add roux, its best to add it 2oz at a time to get the consistency that you want. once you have the desired thickness pull off the heat and add peas. we add peas last so they don't become mush or brown.
6. Plating: on a room temperature skillet corn bread, take a small, sharp knife to cut a hole in said corn bread. save the round top, and scrape out, with a spoon the innards. Fill the inside with hot pot pie mix and top it. bake for another 5 min to get bread hot then serve right away.