1.5oz Whiskey or Rum
3 Cloves, whole
1 Cinnamon Stick
1 Orange Peel
4oz Hot Water
Build in a glass with a handle.
A bit of honey and/or a slice of fresh ginger can be added.
1 Sugar Cude
2 dash Angostura Bitters
4-5oz Sparkling Wine
Build in a champagne glass.
Adapted from Punch by David Wondrich
6 oz Sugar
3 Lemons, peel only (no pith)
6 oz Lemon Juice
750ml Cognac, Whiskey, Dark Rum
4-5 cups Water
¼ Nutmeg, freshly grated
1. Muddle sugar and lemon peel to release oils, let sit overnight for best results, 4-6 hrs will work too.
2. Add Lemon Juice
3. Stir until sugar is dissolved
4. Add spirit, stir and taste for balance
5. Add water, ice, nutmeg just before serving
6. Ladle into a cocktail glass or holiday mug
Spirits can be mixed in different combinations (i.e. 2/3 Cognac with 1/3 Rum or 2/3 blended with 1/3 pot still Irish Whiskeys).
Sherry can be used instead of water (maybe 1/3) for a more complex flavor.
If possible, use one large chunk of ice to chill punch to reduce dilution.