Lemon Meringue Baked Donuts
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• ¾ cup sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ¾ cup buttermilk
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
• FOR THE COATING:
• ½ cup sugar
1. Adjust oven racks to center position and preheat oven to 425°F. Spray two 6-cavity donut pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour sugar, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, and lemon zest until batter is smooth and combined, but do not over-mix. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared donut pans.
3. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes until the edges of the donuts begin to turn a light golden brown and the tops of the donuts spring back when lightly touched. Allow donuts to cool for 5 minutes in pans before turning them out onto a cooling rack.
- 4 Large egg whites
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
2. Place your egg whites and sugar in a separate bowl and place the bowl on top of the pot of boiling water.
3. Whisk egg whites and sugar together continuously until mixture reaches 140 degrees F
4. Immediately transfer to a stand mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. Scoop into piping bag and pipe away!