The International Coffee Organization sets a number of dates for countries to celebrate "National Coffee Day." September 29 is the designated date for the U.S., Japan, South Africa and a number of other nations.We posted a list of businesses offering free coffee on Tuesday
in the Tampa Bay area: shar.es/17zWYc
Here are 5 facts about coffee:
1. The U.S. is not number one when it comes to coffee consumption. "On a per capita coffee consumption basis, the the U.S is medium sized beverage, in a sea of extra large coffee drinking nations," says WorldAtlas.com.
2. Coffee is second only to oil as the world's most valuable commodity. (GlobalExchange.org)
3. Humans drink a lot of coffee: Annual global consumption is about 12 billion pounds. (GlobalExchange.org)
4. While there is an endless variety of coffee-based beverages, there are only two kinds of beans: Arabica and Robusta.
"Seventy percent of coffee beans are Arabica. Although less popular, Robusta is slightly more bitter and has twice as much caffeine." -- GoodHousekeeping.com
5. Coffee is a fruit. Coffee beans are actually the pits of berries that grow on bushes .
Looking for a local coffee shop near you? Check out this list from Yelp.