ST. PETE, Fla. - Located off the Gandy Bridge, you can find one of Tampa Bay's best kayak spots.
Weedon Island Preserve in St. Petersburg allows you to kayak through mangrove tunnels.
This picturesque outdoor adventure offers a 4-mile loop on the South Paddling Trail, which meanders through mangroves and seagrass flats between islands of the preserve.
The kayak trail is best accessed at the canoe launch next to the fishing pier at the end of Weedon Drive NE. Restrooms and a canoe washing station are also located here.
No paddle? No problem! You can rent a kayak, stand up paddleboard or canoe from Sweetwater Kayaks and enjoy the natural side of Florida. Weekday and weekend rentals are available.
- Single Kayak: $17 for 1 hour, $34 for 2 hours, $40 for 4 hours
- Double Kayak: $25 for 1 hour, $50 for 2 hours, $56 for 4 hours
- Stand Up Paddleboard (SUPs): $20 for 1 hour, $40 for 2 hours, $50 for 4 hours
- Canoe: $30 for 1 hour, $60 for 2 hours, $60 for 4 hours
- Click here for more rental information
The trail is best accessed during mid to high tides so be sure to check a tide chart before venturing on the paddling trail. Also, familiarize yourself with the suggested trail companions and trail rules before pushing off on your excursion.
Make sure to bring the following:
- Insect repellent
- Drinking water and snacks
- Binoculars and identification guides
- Cell phone
- Closed-toe shoes that can get wet
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
Smoking and alcohol are not permitted. Dogs are not allowed on the trail. Click here for more information.
Weedon Island Preserve is located at 1859 Weedon Drive NE, St. Petersburg.