4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup water
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
3-4 Tablespoons dark rum
2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
Several shakes high quality ground cinnamon
4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
1. In a large sauté pan on medium heat, melt the butter. Don't let the butter brown.
2. Add brown sugar and stir until it dissolves. This sugar mixture will be very hot so be careful.
3. Add the mangos and sauté for an additional 5 minutes to slightly warm the mango. (If the mangos are less than ripe, they may take longer to cook.) Half way through the cooking, add the water to create a sauce. You can add more water if you desire or the mixture becomes dry.
4. In a separate small sauce pan, heat rum. Light the rum with a long stick match or long stemmed lighter. Once it catches fire, pour over the mangos. As the pan flames, sprinkle the cinnamon into the flames where it will sparkle. Stir the pan periodically. This makes a great show, so it is best done in front of your guests and in a slightly darkened room.
5. Scoop out the ice cream into individual dishes and spoon over the mango foster mixture. Serve immediately.