Verdict reached in Kyle Williams murder trial

UPDATE: Verdict reached around 4:30 p.m.
The jury in the Kyle Williams murder trial started deliberating just before noon Wednesday, and some 28 hours later, still no verdict.
After eight hours of deliberation on Wednesday, jurors adjourned for the night and reconvened 9 a.m. Thursday. They were sequestered in a hotel without televisions, radios or any other means to receive outside information about the case.
Late Thursday afternoon, the judge sent a note to the jurors asking them if they anticipate the need for dinner and hotel accommodations again for the night.
The jury responded that they had reached a verdict.
Around 5 p.m. Wednesday -- nearly five hours into deliberations -- the jury came forward with a question for the judge.
"The question is we feel the photos and maps are difficult to determine the appropriate positioning and distance. Would it be possible to go to the park?" the judge said, reading the question.
He immediately said no because "it would be inappropriate."
Closing arguments wrapped up late Wednesday morning. The prosecution laid out all the evidence in some tense moments just feet from the accused killer.
"He points that gun in the most vulnerable and most exposed part of his body and pulls the trigger," said Paul Wallace, state prosecutor.
Four of Williams' friends were with him that December night when Crispin came over to do a routine pat down in a Lakeland park.
"He simply ambushes him and executes him there in front of these guys," Wallace said.
All four of the guys pointed to Williams as the shooter during two weeks of testimony.
The defense offered another theory during closing arguments, that the men concocted a plan to blame Williams.
"They all lied. They contradicted themselves and each other," said Chris Boldt, defense attorney.
Right after the judge dismissed the jury to begin deliberations, Williams' attorney stood up and told the judge his client became upset because he now wants to testify.
The day before, he struggled to make a decision on whether to take the stand but finally declined with tears in his eyes.
Print this article Back to Top