TAMPA - Public meetings are being held on pedestrian and bicycle safety improvements in the University/Temple Terrace of area April 1,2 and 3.
Hillsborough County will hold the meetings to discuss proposed improvements to several roads, including Fletcher Avenue, 56th Street, 42nd Street, Bruce B. Downs, Bearss Avenue, Hanley Road and Waters Avenue. The suggested improvements are being designed by the Public Works Department after the roads were identified by the Metropolitan Planning Organization as high pedestrian and bicycle crash corridors.
The total cost of all nine projects is approximately $8.5 million. Construction is projected to begin in mid to late 2013.
Monday, April 1, 6:30 p.m., Roy Haynes Park, 1902 S. Village Ave.
- This meeting will focus on proposed improvements to Fletcher Avenue, from North Blvd. to Florida Ave. that includes installing raised medians and a mid-block crossing.
Tuesday, April 2, 6:30 p.m., University Area Community Development Center, 14013 N. 22nd St. At this meeting, the following proposed improvements will be discussed:
- 56th Street from Fletcher Avenue to Fowler Avenue: addition of sidewalk and a mid-block crosswalk, and re-striping of bike lanes
- 42nd Street from Fletcher Avenue to Bruce B. Downs: addition of sidewalks, mid-block crosswalks and street lighting
- Bruce B. Downs Boulevard from Fletcher Avenue to Bearss Avenue: sidewalk additions and street lighting improvements
- Bearss Avenue from Dale Mabry Boulevard to Lake Magdalene Boulevard: sidewalk additions, bike lane and road pull-out additions, and storm-water improvements
- Bearss Avenue from Florida Avenue to 22nd Street: sidewalk and bike lane addition, re-striping of existing bike lanes, and installing bicycle awareness signage
Wednesday, April 3, 6:30 p.m., Jackson Springs Park, 8620 Jackson Springs Park Road. At this meeting, the following proposed improvements will be discussed:
- Hanley Road between Hillsborough Avenue and Waters Avenue: raised median and street lighting additions, intersection improvements, and lane re-striping
- Waters Avenue between Sheldon Road and Florida Avenue: lane re-striping to add a bicycle lane, street lighting and sidewalk ramp additions, and minor intersection improvements
All meeting facilities are ADA compliant. For assistance, or for more information, call 813-272-5275 (TTY: 301-7173). Para información, llamar al 272-5275.