Southwest Florida man charged with attempted murder after running over two women

FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers man has been arrested on charges of attempted second-degree murder after deputies say he ran over two women with his car.

Deputies were called to Kingston Drive about 8:40 a.m. Friday on a disturbance call. When they arrived, they found two women had been struck by a white PT cruiser, which had fled the scene. The women, ages 52 and 33, were transported to the trauma center of Lee Memorial Hospital for treatment.

As deputies were talking to witnesses, the PT Cruiser returned to the scene and the driver was identified as Eric Noel Montez, 28, of the 200 block Labelle Avenue, Fort Myers.

Deputies said Montez was driving his 7-year-old daughter to school when he passed a jogger on Kingston Drive. The man tapped the car with his hand as it came dangerously close to him. Montez stopped the vehicle, got out and ran after the jogger, deputies said. He punched the man in the face numerous times, according to deputies.

The women saw Montez beating the man and approached him, telling him to stop and that they were calling police, according to reports. A verbal exchange escalated into violence when Montez got back into his car, backed up and then pulled forward, hitting the 33-year-old woman with his car and vaulting her over the hood, according to reports.

Montez began driving south on Kingston Drive and the 52-year-old woman ran screaming after him, according to reports. He stopped the car and intentionally reversed course to hit her, knocking her to the ground, according to reports. The woman was run over by the vehicle, deputies said.

Montez drove on, dropped his daughter off, picked up his cell phone and returned to the scene, according to deputies.

Montez was charged with two counts of attempted second-degree murder and one count of battery. He was taken to the Lee County Jail.

A Lee County judge has set Eric Montez's bond at $252,500.

The 33-year-old victim remains hospitalized and is reported in stable condition. The other female victim is still considered in critical condition at this time. The names of the victims are being withheld as the investigation continues.

A woman who answered the door at Montez's home Friday morning declined to comment.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments