Second Floridian dies of meningitis from tainted steroid shot

ORLANDO, Fla. - An 83-year-old Marion County man is the second person in the state to die from a national fungal meningitis outbreak.

Florida Department of Health officials on Thursday said that the man, who was not named due to health privacy laws, developed meningitis after he was injected with one of the contaminated lots of steroid medicine from the New England Compounding Center.

A 70-year old man from Marion County died in July, before the discovery of the contaminated medication.

State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong says there have been seven cases of meningitis in Florida so far, with the latest person diagnosed identified as a 48-year-old man from Marion County.

Armstrong says health officials have identified 735 of the 775 people in Florida who received contaminated injections.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments