Judge to rule on George Zimmerman's request for second bond

SANFORD, Fla. - Today, the judge in George Zimmerman's murder trial is expected to decide whether the defendant will be released from jail or remain behind bars.

Zimmerman, 28, is charged with the murder of Trayvon Martin, the 17-year-old unarmed teen he fatally shot in February.

The defendant had been free on a $150,000 bond, but was thrown back in jail June 1 after it was revealed that he and his wife misled the court about his finances.

Zimmerman had an account with $150,000 in donations from the public, something he didn't disclose in his bond hearing in April. His wife had also testified that they didn't have money.

Zimmerman and his attorney, Mark O'Mara, attended a hearing with Judge Kenneth Lester to argue that the defendant should be allowed to bond a second time.

Zimmerman's attorney said the defendant posed no danger to the community, and is not a flight risk.

The attorney said Zimmerman accepted responsibility for allowing the court to be misled and said his client ended up netting a total of $204,000 via PayPal accounts. About $150,000 is now in an independently managed trust after $30,000 was used to pay for "life in hiding."

The judge will decide Thursday if Zimmerman will be granted a second bond.

Zimmerman told police he shot Martin in self defense and pled not guilty. Martin's family and civil rights activists said Zimmerman, who is white and Hispanic, racially profiled the teen.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments