OCALA, Fla. - An Ocala father may face serious prison time after he admitted to putting bleach in his baby daughter's bottle, but he says it was a mistake and he was actually trying to help her, according to Ocala Star Banner reports.
Carron Washington, 20, told a room filled with media that putting the bottle in his baby's mouth was "the dumbest decision I've made in my life" Monday.
Washington says that his infant daughter, Cadlynn, had suffered from breathing problems since she was born in December.
Her esophagus was detached from her stomach and the infant required surgery.
Washington, who says he a pre-med student at the College of Central Florida, was reportedly advised by a fellow student to put bleach in his daughter's formula as a remedy for her problem.
Washington said in an effort to stop Cadlynn's pain, he added less than a capful of bleach to a couple ounces of formula and fed it to her around 1:00 a.m. Sunday.
When the child began to throw up, and started crying, he was frightened.
He called 911, his parents and the mother of the child's parents, he said in a press conference.
The child was taken to the hospital, and he initially denied putting bleach in the bottle because "I was scared of losing her," he said.
He is being held without bond on a domestic aggravated child abuse charge.
For more details, click here: http://bit.ly/139v2nU