Arrest made in quadruple murder, kidnapping; boy found safe

Tampa Police found a boy early Friday morning who had been missing from Hudson.  They also arrested a suspect in the kidnapping and a quadruple murder.
 
Tampa Police found suspect Adam Matos and missing Ismael 'Tristan' Santisteban at a downtown Tampa hotel.
 
Tristan, an autistic boy, disappeared from a home in Pasco County at 7719 Hatteras Drive.
 
Law enforcement issued an Amber Alert for the 4-year-old about 8 p.m. Thursday, after Pasco County deputies discovered four dead bodies near Hudson home.
 
Tristan's relationship to Matos is unclear, said Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco, but he may consider himself a father figure to the child.
 
Deputies were called to the home Aug. 28 for a domestic incident, Nocco said, and the boy was there at that time. The boy's mother told deputies that Matos held a knife to her throat.
 
They were called to the house again 10 a.m. Thursday for a welfare check. A relative of the family in Pennsylvania called deputies to say the family had not been heard from since last week.
 
During the check, deputies found evidence of “grave alarm” that caused them to search the surrounding area.  That's when they found the four bodies, Nocco said.
 
The bodies were piled on top of each other near a mine about three-fourths of a mile away. Nocco has not said how the dead may have been related to Ismael.
 
Deputies were searching bars and homeless camps Thursday for Matos. 
 
"There has been a lot of activity in and out of the driveway," neighbor Ed Nilon said. "The motor home showed up eight to 10 days ago and has not moved."
 
Matos and Tristan moved to the Hudson home in July from Orefield, Pa., with at least four others. According to Nocco, Matos had several run-ins with the Pennsylvania police. His criminal history includes prior arrests for assault, harassment and theft. 
 
Approximately two weeks ago, Matos showed up to the Get Hooked Grill in Hudson looking for a job. 
 
"We were looking for a dishwasher so I threw him in the dish pit," restaurant owner John Hill said. "He was a clean cut, nice looking young man. He came in, did his job, didn't say much, and went home."
 
However, about a week into his employment there Hill said he received a strange phone call from Matos saying he could not come in to work due to a family emergency. This was on Aug. 27. The next day, deputies said the domestic incident took place. 
 
Jacob Torres, a cook at the restaurant, said he last spoke with Matos when he came by the restaurant to pick up his last check on Aug. 29. He said he appeared normal. He recalls him mentioning getting a new job fishing with a neighbor. 
 
"I'm really surprised. Really surprised," said Torres. "He was a really quiet guy."
Print this article Back to Top

Comments