Mistaken identity, not road rage, led to I-4 shooting

Suspect turned himself in two days after shooting

UPDATE: Jerome Edward Hayes, charged with first degree murder in Saturday's shooting  on I-4 near Tampa, makes his first appearance before a Hillsborough County judge today.
Hayes turned himself in Monday around 11:00 a.m. with his attorney at the Orient Road Jail.
The shooting was not a case of road rage as investigators first thought.
"Unfortunately, it was a case of mistaken identity," said Colonel Donna Lusczynski with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators say 47-year-old Free Turner was murdered on I-4 because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"The victim was mistaken for an individual who was involved in an altercation with the suspect's friend inside the Gold Club," said Colonel Lusczynski.
Investigators say Hayes and a friend got into a physical fight at the Adamo Drive strip club, then waited outside for revenge.
But the man deputies say they tailed in a silver ford Taurus was the wrong guy, who was leaving an adjacent business.
"Mr. Turner was followed from the location by the suspect to the interstate, where he was shot several times," said Colonel Lusczynski.
Defense attorney Nick Matassini, Jr., said detectives visited his client Sunday at his Osceola County home and Hayes is being cooperative.
"He surrendered that firearm voluntarily, in addition to the vehicle that was alleged to have been used in the incident, which I believe was a silver Taurus," said Matassini.
Investigators say Turner called 911 reporting someone was following him in a similar car after he left a store around 3:00 p.m. Saturday.  He also told dispatchers the man brandished a gun through the car window near 50th Street and Columbus Drive.
An ABC Action News recording of a Department of Transportation camera shows deputies swarming the victim's green Mustang. Officials say cameras did not record the shooting incident itself.
Turner was an Army 82nd Airborne veteran who was the assistant manager of housekeeping at an Orlando hotel. Investigators say he was headed home to Orlando when he was murdered.
Print this article Back to Top