Verdict reached in Richard McTear murder trial

The jury has reach ed a verdict in the Richard McTear murder trial.
Judge Williams Fuente began his instructions around 8:45 a.m.  The jury left the room around 9:30 a.m. so that issues involving a typo and word usage could be fixed in the instructions.
The jury was called back shortly before 10 a.m. and was informed of the changes. The panel left to begin deliberations shortly after 10 a.m.
A verdict is expected by the end of the day, according to Judge Fuente.
Closing arguments wrapped up around 12:15 p.m. Wednesday.
McTear is accused of throwing 3-month-old Emanuel Murray from a car window on I-275 in Tampa in May 2009.
The case hinges on the testimony of McTear's ex-girlfriend, Jasmine Bedwell.
She testified that McTear attacked her in a jealous rage and took off with her baby in a car.
Prosecutor Ron Gale told the jury that McTear's guilt is clear.
"The evidence in this case that you've received over the last week has proven beyond every reasonable doubt that Richard McTear is guilty as charged of the crimes of which he's charged," Gale said.
Gale pointed to physical evidence tying McTear to the murder, including the baby's DNA on McTear's shorts and in the car the state said McTear drove off in.
There were also phone records that, according to the state, shows McTear called Bedwell more than 100 times.
"Ms. Bedwell described for you how, that during these calls, the defendant threatened both herself and her baby," Gale told the jury.
The defense took only a day to present its case on Tuesday. McTear's attorneys say the trial was full of conflicting testimony from witnesses, creating reasonable doubt.
The defense also brought up the possibility that someone else could be to blame, including another man they said Bedwell was dating.
"Reality is that it was Liderrius Moore, not Richard Anthony McTear, Jr., with whom Emmanuel was left alone shortly before the time, very shortly before the time, that he was found dead on the side of a road, with no clear explanation of how that baby got to the side of that road," said defense attorney Mike Peacock.
This is McTear's second trial. The first ended in a mistrial.
Print this article Back to Top