TAMPA - Below is a list of cold weather shelters for Hillsborough County:
A cold front moving through the area is expected to bring near freezing temperatures for Hillsborough County. The National Weather Service expects the local wind chill factor to be 31 degrees Tuesday night, Jan. 21. Emergency cold weather shelters will open this evening, Jan. 21 for the homeless and those who live in homes without adequate heat.
The cold temperatures and low wind chill are dangerous to anyone who will be outside for a long period of time. Residents who need to be outside overnight or during the early morning hours are encouraged to dress in several warm layers and limit skin exposure to the wind. Pets should not be left outside during the cold weather.
Hillsborough County coordinates with the following organizations to provide cold weather shelters:
- · Brandon Community Center, 510 E. Sadie St. in Brandon -- This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for homeless individuals and families with children in the Brandon Area. Phone: 813-635-8179
- · Metropolitan Ministries, 2010 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa -- This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is for families. After hours phone: 813-209-1077
- · Salvation Army, 1514 N. Florida Ave. in Tampa -- This shelter opens at 4 p.m. and is only for adults. After hours phone: 813-221-4440
- · Jackson Springs Recreation Center, 8620 Jackson Springs Road in Town 'N Country -- This shelter opens at 6:30 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone 813-554-5064
- · Wimauma Community Center, 5705 Hillsborough St. in Wimauma -- This shelter opens at 6 p.m. and is for adults and families. Phone 813-635-3500
The Brandon Community Center, Jackson Springs Recreation Center, and Wimauma Community Center are also accepting donations of shelter supplies, such as hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, sleeping bags, disinfectant wipes, disposable cups, coffee, creamer, paper plates, plastic utensils and sugar. Donations may be dropped off at shelter sites Monday through Friday from 9 a.m.to 8 p.m. The Wimauma site will collect donations at the Ruskin Region Center, 901 Sixth St. SE. in Ruskin.