Erratic driver had diabetic condition, police say

A Tampa family is grieving as police launch an internal review following a man's death.
Police tell ABC Action News multiple 911 dispatch calls came in Wednesday afternoon about a man driving erratically for several minutes in the area of Central and Idlewild avenues.
"I heard all the sirens and went looking for it," said Errol Hurlstone, who lives in the area. 
He said he saw paramedics giving Arthur Green chest compressions in the middle of the street after having crashed his vehicle. 
"He was just limp the whole time they were working on him," he said. 
Green's family declined to speak to ABC Action News.
Police said Green drove on sidewalks and in the wrong lane before crashing. No one was hurt, but police said when they arrived to arrest Green, he became combative. 
Police said the responding officers suspected a diabetic incident and put Green in handcuffs. 
"Yes, they were within policy to get the driver under control. We did not want him getting back in the car," said Tampa Police spokeswoman Andrea Davis. 
"Placing cuffs on someone like that is not at all going to impact their blood sugar, but may help in not letting them harm themselves or others," said Florida Hospital Wesley Chapel Medical Director Michael Longley.
Police said when Green stopped breathing they released him from handcuffs and began CPR until paramedics arrived and took him to St. Joseph's Hospital, where he later died. 
Tampa police said during annual DUI training, officers are taught to look for the influence of alcohol verses a medial issue. Police are also instructed to look for a medical bracelet. 
Police said Green was not wearing a medical bracelet detailing his history of hypoglycemia at the time of the accident. 
"It's important they get the medical bracelets so they can get the help they need as quickly as possible," said Davis. 
Green’s toxicology reports are pending. 
Tampa police said as standard practice in a death investigation an internal review is underway, thought it appears the officers adhered to policy and procedure.
Davis said both officers took Thursday off work because they were so emotional about Green's death.
Print this article Back to Top