TAMPA - A Tampa firefighter suffered minor injuries while working a house fire Saturday morning fire officials say.
Tampa Fire Rescue crews responded to a working fire at 2309 North 54 th Street. According to fire officials the homeowner, Ruby Smith, 60, had fallen asleep in bed while smoking a cigarette.
She awoke to find her house on fire and attempted to put out the flames with buckets of water before the fire got too big for her to handle.
Smith called 911 and Tampa Fire crews were able to control the fire in about ten minutes. One firefighter was taken to the hospital with minor injuries and was later released.
There were no reported injuries sustained to any civilians including Smith.
Crews estimate the damage done to be around $2,100. Officials believe the fire was accidental in nature.