Fire from unattended stove burns Ruskin home

A fire investigator with Hillsborough County said a grease fire on an unattended stove burned down a home Sunday night at 1302 Sweeney Drive in Ruskin.
 
All of the residents were able to get out before HCFR responded just after 11:30 p.m.  The home was fully involved, and it eventually collapsed.
 
There were no reported injuries, to civilians or personnel. 
 
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. 
 
Cooking Safety Tips from Hillsborough County Fire Rescue:
 
  • Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
  • Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
  • Keep anything that can catch fire  oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains  away from your stovetop.
  • Keep children out of the kitchen while cooking.
  • If you have a cooking fire:
  • Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
  • Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
  • Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
  • For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
  • Do not try to put water on a grease fire. It will intensify the fire.
Print this article Back to Top

Comments