Sarasota woman arrested after toddler was burned with hairdryer
5:17 PM, Feb 4, 2014
SARASOTA, Fla. - A Sarasota mother was arrested and charged with child neglect after her toddler was severely burned with a blow dryer.
Sarasota County Sheriff's deputies said Devon Rowand, 24, of North Port called the boy's father on Jan. 25 and told him there was a "little accident." She said she had been blow drying the boy's hair after a bath, went to check on another child in the home, and that's when the boy burned himself.
Rowand said she didn't want to take the boy to the hospital out of fear that she'd be reported to the Department of Children and Families, according to the sheriff's office.
The boy was returned to his father Jan. 29 and when he saw the burns, he took him to Sarasota Memorial Hospital where doctors said the boy had first and second degree burns on his left thigh and genitals.
Rowand was charged with child neglect for leaving the toddler unsupervised next to a defective hot hair dryer that was still plugged in.