Judge orders Mulberry mobile home park shut down, residents forced to move

City sued park over its leaky sewer

MULBERRY, Fla. - A Polk County judge just ordered that a Mulberry mobile home park must be shut down.

The Lakeside Manor Mobile Home Park has been in a legal battle with the City of Mulberry for the last year over it's failing sewer system.

Residents at the park have been caught in the middle, and now they'll have to move out.

"I don't have the money to move.  I'm on disability," said Eddie Cordin, who has lived at the park for more than 20 years.

He and the other dozen or so families that remain at the park knew this bench trial was coming, but they were hoping for a positive result.

The city sued the park last March because it would not make repairs to its leaky sewer.

"It doesn't sound too good," said resident Charles Raymond, before the ruling came down. " It's worrisome because I'm not hearing a whole lot of rebuttal of the evidence that's being thrown up there."

Late Tuesday afternoon, the judge ruled in the city's favor, but no timetable has been set for when residents will have to move out.

The judge agreed to meet with attorneys in a few weeks to see if there are any funds or programs available to help residents move.

"A lot of distraught residents, aggravated," said Earl Tournear, manager of the mobile home park.  "A lot of extra stress on the families in here that don't need it."

He says the owners of the park would have fixed the sewer, but ran of money.  He claims it's not as leaky as the city says it is.

"You're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars," he said.

In the last year, many of the residents got up and left because they feared what was coming.

Soon, those residents that still live here won't have a choice.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments