Police say sexual battery took place at a Tarpon Springs home where no adults were present

TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. - Tarpon Springs Police say no adults were present at a party where a 15-year-old girl ended up being raped.

The incident occurred at a Tarpon Springs home on April 13 at 1 a.m.

According to an arrest affidavit, there was was alcohol at the party and the girl became intoxicated.  Police say the girl was taken to a room to "lay down."

Police say three males, all of whom are juveniles, were there.  One of the boys, a 17-year-old has been arrested and is facing sexual battery charges.

ABC Action News is not naming the boyd because he has not been charged as an adult.

The arrest affidavit states "the defendant entered the room and admitted to having sexual intercourse with the juvenile victim."

According to police, the victim said the sex was not consensual because she was too intoxicated to give consent.

Word of the alleged rape and arrest has students at Tarpon Springs High School talking.

"There is a lot of gossiping going on," said sophomore Robin Kelly.  "You see people whispering to each other about what happened, who they think is right, who they think is wrong."

Students told ABC Action News word of the arrest is dividing the student body.  Some are apparently voicing their opinions on Twitter and are creating hashtags in reference to the suspect.

"At school he was really really popular," said Miranda Campbell, a freshman.  "Everyone liked him.  All the girls had crushes on him.  Personally, I would never thought this allegation would be brought on to the person."

Campbell said she has been invited to parties the senior has thrown.

"They are like there is a party at this location.  Keep it on the down low.  Don't tell any parents and bring alcohol drugs and all that," she said.

Campbell's mother Wanda learned of the invites and told her daughter she could not attend.

"I want to meet the kid and I want to meet the parents first," explained Wanda Campbell.

ABC Action News briefly spoke with a woman who identified herself as the suspect's grandmother.  She said the suspect's mother and the family are too upset to comment.
According to the suspect's grandmother, he stayed home from school Thursday.  Classmates also said the accuser was not in class.
But, that did not stop students from discussing and debating the situation.
"If it is true that is really sad and totally unacceptable but there are two sides to every story," said Kennedy Fuller, a junior.
"Either way, true or not, it is going to suck because they're going to have to live with that for the rest of their high school career," said Emily Flees, a junior.  "If it is true, the rest of their lives."
Police are still investigating what role the two other boys played in the reported rape.
Meanwhile, the 17-year-old is charged with sexual battery of a physically incapacitated girl.  The charge is a felony and if convicted the boy could face up to 30 years behind bars.
Print this article Back to Top