Gas leak prompts evacuations at assisted living facility in Seminole, gas line repaired

Part of a Seminole assisted living facility was evacuated Friday after a gas leak was reported due to a construction crew rupturing a gas line. 

The leak was reported at approximately 11:55 a.m. at Freedom Square Rehabilitation and Nursing Services located at 10801 Johnson Boulevard. The patients at The Inn at Freedom Square assisted living facility were evacuated to another building with help from the Fire Department. 

As of 1:15 p.m., the scene was declared under control and residents were being let back into their building. 

Construction crews ruptured a gas line that runs into the Inn at Freedom Square, resulting in the gas leak in the building. Just after 12:30 p.m. the gas line was capped. 

There are 240 senior residents in the facility; 199 were evacuated to a neighboring building within the complex, 34 sheltered in place. One 91-year-old woman was transported to the hospital for some difficulty breathing. 

Approximately 50 firefighters responded to the gas leak. 

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office is on scene assisting with traffic control. 

Story developing. Stay with ABC Action News for updates. 

Print this article Back to Top