HOLIDAY, Fla. - Health officials have confirmed a 4-year-old Pasco County boy died from bacterial meningitis.
A spokeswoman for the county health department said Thursday tests confirmed Amonti Saunders had the infection in his system.
The child became sick and died after suddenly becoming ill with a fever Saturday afternoon. He also complained that his legs hurt and within hours developed purple splotches on his face and arms.
All those who were in contact with the child have received antibiotics as a precaution.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, headache, stiff neck, rashes and confusion.
It is unknown how the boy contracted the illness.