Suspect stole cash, Spice and hundreds of scratch-off lottery tickets

DUNEDIN, Fla. - Surveillance video inside of a Dunedin convenience store captured what appears to be the same man burglarizing and then robbing the store on three separate occasions.

"He walked in, he walked out," said Simon Makdissi, owner of Munchee's Food Store near the intersection of Bayshore and Palm Boulevards in Dunedin.

On January 17, surveillance video caught a male suspect holding up a clerk at gunpoint.  The masked suspect is wearing a grey jacket and orders the clerk to open the register and hand him money.  He then demanded scratch-off lottery tickets and spice--a synthetic marijuana. The clerk complied with the demands and the suspect took off running.

Witnesses describe the suspect as a white male about 6 feet tall, weighing 165 pounds with a medium build. In the video he is seen wearing a gray jacket with a hood. The jacket has a red lining along the collar area. He also appears to be wearing a ball cap under the hood.

On January 22, an unidentified female cashed in the stolen lottery tickets at the Citgo Gas Station at 1301 Missouri Avenue in Clearwater.  Surveillance video captured the woman at the register.

Around 6 a.m. on January 29, the robbery suspect, wearing the same grey jacket and mask, smashed the front window of Munchee's.   Surveillance video shows the suspect grabbing hundreds of scratch-off lottery tickets and then stuffing them in a garbage bag.

The entire time the suspect is burglarizing Munchee's, the store's alarm was going off.  Remaining cool, the suspect grabbed a pack of cigarettes before running off into the night.

"He thinks this is his bank or his mommy," Makdissi added.

A few hours later, a man believed to be the suspect and an unidentified female are seen cashing in the stolen lottery tickets at the 7-Eleven at 100 Alt 19 in Palm Harbor.  Surveillance video captured the man and the woman at the register.  The woman in this surveillance video looks similar to the woman caught cashing in the stolen tickets on January 22.

On February 1, the suspect struck yet again.  Wearing the same jacket, the suspect order the clerk to open the cash register and safe.  The clerk on duty was the same clerk the suspect held at gunpoint January 17.

On the surveillance video, the suspect can be heard yelling commands at the clerk.

The clerk complied with the suspect's demands again.  The suspect ran off on foot after taking cash and cigarettes. 

"I can't sleep at night.  I am concerned he will hurt one by my employees," Makdissi said.

The clerk, who was held up twice, has requested to keep working because he needs the money, according to Makdissi.

"He was crying and wants to stay," Makdissi explained.

The clerk was expected to work Tuesday night but was not able to make it.  When his wife learned he was held up a second time she suffered a stroke, according to Makdissi.

The clerk decided to stay at his wife's side as she recovers in the hospital.

"This is a bad time for him," Makdissi said.

Anyone with information that may assist in this investigation is asked to contact Detective Jeff Capra of the Robbery/Homicide Unit or Detective Holly Tsanakaliotis of the Burglary and Pawn Unit at 727-582-6200.

Makdissi is also offering a $500 reward to anyone who can provide information that leads to the suspect's arrest.

Print this article Back to Top