DUNEDIN, Fla. - A man and his dog died Monday morning after being trapped in a smoke-filled second-story condominium.
The fire alarm was called in around 5:30 a.m. at Scottish Towers II in Dunedin. Fire Chief Jeff Parks told us that by the time firefighters arrived, the fire was out.
"And upon entry, they found that the fire was extinguished by itself," he said. "And they found a male victim and a dog both deceased in the structure."
"I am two floors up from his apartment so it was scary" said neighbor Gail Hanna
Gail told me the man she knew simply as "Ron" or "Ronnie" used to like to sit outside on the patio and smoke. Initial investigations into whether or not a lit cigarette -- or some other ignition source -- started the fire were not conclusive. The state Fire Marshall and Crime Scene Techs from Pinellas County are combing the studio apartment for additional clues, while the folks who live here mourn a loss of one of their own.
And I know… I feel terrible for this dog, too," continued Ms. Hanna. "It's really sad. He just adopted that dog several months ago… a rescue dog… and I just saw him yesterday and told him how calm the dog had gotten cuz he was growing up."