Demolition reveals sinkhole that swallowed a man inside Seffner home

SEFFNER, Fla. - UPDATE:  Workers have removed personal items from the Seffner home where a sinkhole formed last week, swallowing a man in his bed. The sinkhole is now exposed and efforts will begin to stabilize it.

"We took every precaution we could to get any valuables of personal effects that the family wanted from the house," Hillsborough County spokesman Willie Puz said at a news conference Monday afternoon.

Especially important were family photos on the dining room wall, a china cabinet and its contents.

A worker on a lift was able to retrieve the items.

The walls of the home were then removed.

The next step is to install gravel along the sides of the sinkhole to stabilize it.

Workers lowered the lifting arm of an excavator into the hole.  Puz estimated it hit dirt around 15 feet.

But, he emphasized, the hole is much deeper and that it is simply plugged up where the machine's arm came to rest.

PREVIOUS REPORT

On Monday afternoon, authorities got a better look at the sinkhole that swallowed a man in his Florida home last week.  Demolition crews knocked down the remaining walls of the house and cleared away the debris.

To see the sinkhole from Action Air 1, click the video player.

The remainder of the house and its contents were dragged toward the street so crews could recover items inside and keep debris from falling into the hole.  Hillsborough County spokesman Willie Puz said Monday morning that authorities were still not certain exactly how big the sinkhole is.

Crews on Sunday razed more than half the home, managing to salvage some keepsakes for family members who lived there.

The opening of the sinkhole had been covered by the home.  Now that emergency officials and engineers can see it more clearly, they can begin planning how to deal with it. They also need to decide what will happen to the two homes on either side of the now-demolished house. Experts say the sinkhole has "compromised" those homes, but it's unclear whether steps can be taken to save them.

Jeremy Bush, 35, tried to save his brother, Jeff, when the earth opened up and swallowed him Thursday night.

On Sunday morning, Bush and relatives prayed with a pastor as the home --  where he lived with his girlfriend, Rachel Wicker; their daughter, Hannah, 2; and others -- was demolished and waited for firefighters to salvage anything possible from inside. The home was owned by Leland Wicker, Rachel's grandfather, since the 1970s.

The operator of the heavy equipment worked gingerly, first taking off a front wall. Family belongings were scooped onto the lawn gently in hopes of salvaging parts of the family's 40-year history in the home.

As of Sunday afternoon -- when demolition had stopped for the day and only a few walls remained -- a Bible, family photos, a jewelry box and a pink teddy bear for Hannah were among the items saved. Firefighters also were able to pick out the purse of one of the women in the home.

Cheers went up from family, friends and neighbors each time something valuable was salvaged.

Wanda Carter, the daughter of Leland Wicker, cradled the large family Bible in her arms. She said her mother and father had stored baptism certificates, cards and photos between the pages of that Bible over the years.

"It means that God is still in control, and He knew we needed this for closure," she said, crying.

Carter said she spent from age 11 to 20 in the home, and she had to close her eyes as the home was knocked down.

"Thank you for all of the memories and life it gave us," she said.

The Rev. John Martin Bell of Shoals Baptist Church said he had been with the family all morning. "We just prayed with them," he said. He added that all five who lived in the house -- Bush, Wicker, Hannah and two others ages 50 and 45 -- were in need of support and prayers from the community.

Several generations of family members lived in the home at the time of the ground collapse, including Jeff Bush, the man now presumed dead.

The search for Jeff Bush, 37, was called off Saturday. He was in his bedroom Thursday night in Seffner -- a suburb of 8,000 people 15 miles east of downtown Tampa -- when the ground opened and took him and everything else in his room. Five others in the house at the time escape unharmed as the earth crumbled.

   Jeremy Bush tried to save his brother by jumping into the sinking dirt hole. He had to be pulled out of the still-shifting hole by a Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy, who was shaken when talking about the incident more than a day later.

"I've never seen anything move so fast and do so much destruction," Deputy Douglas Duvall said.

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is conducting the investigation. Detective Larry McKinnon said the sheriff's office and the county medical examiner cannot declare Bush dead if his body is still missing. Under Florida law, Bush's family must petition a court to declare him deceased.

"Based on the circumstances, he's presumed dead; however, the official

death certificate can only be issued by a judge and the family has to petition the court," McKinnon said.

The area around Seffner is known for sinkholes due to the geography of the terrain, but they are rarely deadly. No one -- from longtime public safety officials to geologists -- could remember an incident where a person was sucked into the earth without warning.

The Hillsborough County Fire Department has set up a website for people to donate to the families affected by the sinkhole.

That website is: http://www.firefighter-relief.com/

Anyone wishing to contact the Wicker family directly can reach them through this email address: WickerFamilyHCFR@gmail.com .

 

___

 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments