WASHINGTON - Newt Gingrich stood by his claim that the GOP presidential field has now become a two-man race between him and Mitt Romney, after Rick Santorum suspended his campaign Tuesday.
"I want to do what I do best, which is talk about big solutions and big approaches," Gingrich said Wednesday on CNN's "The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer." "I want to keep campaigning."
The former House speaker quickly pounced on Santorum's exit from the race, releasing a statement asking Santorum's supporters to join his side. Since then, Gingrich said, more than 4,200 people have donated money to his campaign.
As he held events in North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Delaware in the last day, Gingrich said "not a single person" asked him to drop out and argued the media was the only voice calling for his withdraw.
"These are the same people who asked me to drop out last June," Gingrich said. "I didn't do it then. I won't do it now."
The candidate has faced questions about his campaign's financial stability in recent weeks. His campaign began charging supporters $50 to take a photo with the candidate, and last week, his former think tank filed for bankruptcy.
On Wednesday, a $500 bounced check came back to the campaign from the state of Utah, after it failed to clear the bank in an attempt to pay a filing fee to get on the ballot. Calling it a bank error, Gingrich said the check was written last December from an account that was closed before the check got processed.
Giving no sign he's ready to back down, Gingrich said he will stay in the running until Romney clinches the 1,144 delegates needed to win the nomination.
"Gov. Romney does not yet have the nomination, despite every effort to get people to concede it, and I have every right to continue to campaign until he gets a majority," Gingrich said, adding that once Romney becomes the presumptive nominee, he will support the candidate.