Police investigate shooting in St. Petersburg

Suspect is being held in jail without bond

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - St. Petersburg Police say a man with a previous military history is behind bars for allegedly shooting and killing one man and injuring two others. Police received multiple calls around 10:00 p.m. Saturday night about shots fired in the 4300 block of 7th Avenue North.

When officers arrived on scene they found two people lying outside of a car suffering from gunshot wounds.  A third person, identified as David Oard, had been shot while he was inside his home, which was not far from the shooting location.

Police say one of the victims, a 26-year-old man identified as Mackenzie Galen McConnell of Brandon, died at the hospital from his injuries.

The second victim has been identified as 31-year-old Alexander Usher of St. Petersburg. He was shot in the lower body and is currently listed in fair condition. Oard was treated for a grazing bullet injury to his head.

Investigators say that Usher and the man who was killed were sitting in a parked car along the 4300 block of 7th Avenue North when they were approached by 34-year-old Jason Faber.

Faber was armed with a semi-automatic gun and according to police, without provocation, started firing at the car, hitting both men. A stray bullet also entered Oard's home, grazing Oard in the head.

Investigators spoke to Faber's wife and found out that he served in the military and suffers from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. She told police that Faber believed the men in the car were dealing drugs. Jail records show Faber has an Army and grim reaper tattoo on his arm.

Officials say Faber lives nearby and after the shooting, got into his 2004 Mazda RX-8 and fled the scene. Around 11:30 p.m., officers found Faber in his car in the area of Gandy Boulevard and 4th Street North.  When the tried to stop him, he fled and officers pursued him.

Officers were able to stop him as he drove up the north bound on-ramp of I-275 when one officer hit Faber's car with his cruiser. As officers ran up to the vehicle, Faber appeared to be trying to reach for a handgun, but officers were able to stop him before he could get his gun. The gun that officers believe was used in the shooting was found inside the car.

Faber was arrested and booked into the Pinellas County Jail.  He is charged with first degree murder, and attempted first degree murder. Additional charges are pending.

During his first appearance in court Sunday morning, the judge ordered Faber to be held without bond.

Print this article Back to Top